The Last Race
Set in the beautiful valley of Manang that borders Tibet, The Last Race explores the friendship between two boys, Karma and Lakpa. Lakpa’s dream is to join his father in America. But he wants his friend Karma to join him. But all that Karma wants is to win the annual Yarthung horse race.
Subina Shrestha and Alex Gabbay
Subina Shrestha is based in Kathmadu and has been working as a filmmaker and a journalist for the past ten years. Her films include Chulo, Choli ra Bhanduk (A Stove, A Blouse and A Gun), The Big Top Shuffle, The Last Race, and Un Amor Sin La Vida. She is the correspondent for Al Jazeera English in Nepal. Her work has been screened in Al Jazeera, BBC World, ITN and she was nominated for the Rory Peck Awards and received the Concentra Award for Outstanding Video Journalism. Alex Gabbay has been working as a filmmaker for over a decade. His outstanding camera work and direction has been recognized and awarded by various film festivals. He lives in London.
• Special Jury Award, Earth Dance Film Festival, California 2006
• 22nd Festival International du Film de Montagne, Autrans, France
• 17th Cardiff Screen Film Festival, Cardiff, Wales
• 3rd Tegernsee International Mountain Film Festival, Tegernsee
• Taos Mountain Film Festival, Toas, 2005
• XIII International Festival of Mountain Films, Poprad, Slovakia
• 17th Internationales Berg + Abenteuer Film Festival, Graz, Austria
• Himalaya Film Festival, Netherlands, 2005
• Kendal Mountain Film Festival, Cumbira, 2005
• Euroshorts, Warsaw, Poland, 2005